Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day


Today is Father's Day and I am remembering my Father who passed away in 2003 at the age of 85. I have many great memories of my Father. He was as unique as unique can be.

My Mom always liked the pictures of my Dad in uniforms. The pictures here show him in the US Army in about 1939 and as a milkman in the 1960s. My Dad was a milk delivery man when I was a child. He was the last one to use a horse and wagon for milk delivery until they switched to using trucks. The picture was taken in July 1963 on the last day that the horse was used for milk delivery.

My Father worked very hard long hours with the milk delivery getting up before 5 AM and not getting home until after 6 PM. When I was under 2 years old I was very sick with polio. My Mom told me how he would be up in the night holding me because I was so ill. My Mom was concerned because he had to go to work in the morning but he said "Who wants to sleep when you have a little boy?" All my life I had no question my Father loved me as this exemplified.

He took delight in trying to make people laugh to cheer them up. He had a very strong faith in God and a passion for sharing it with others. I was blessed to have him as my Father.