Saturday, November 29, 2008

Trach Change # 17

I just had a trach change for the 17th time (but who's keeping track?) since I was in the hospital early last year. At first I was having trach changes once a month, but now we have extended it to 6 weeks. I really like the Respiratory Therapist who does it now. The process to take one tube out and put the other one in only takes a few minutes. It doesn't usually hurt but does cause quite a bit of coughing.

I am still reusing the same 2 trach tubes. I clean the one that comes out, and have it ready for use next time. I just soak it in soapy water and then put it into boiling water to sanitize it. The trach tube is a Bivona Hyperflex Aire-cuf made of silicon with wire reinforcement to keep the tube from kinking when it bends. It is 11mm OD and 8mm ID and 95mm long.



These are two pictures of the trach tube that just came out. One with the cuff deflated like I have it during the day, and one with the cuff inflated like I have at night. During the day air can go around the outside of the tube through my vocal cords, and through my mouth and nose. With the cuff inflated at night the trachea is sealed off so the air from the ventilator goes directly to my lungs, and none escapes through my mouth and nose. Then I can only talk with a whisper. But I talk anyhow and make Elaine guess what I am saying.

All in all there are some inconveniences and irritation from having a trach tube, but there is no question it is helping me breathe better.

1 comment:

Queen of West Procrastination said...

You're particularly talkative when all you can do is whisper. I'm glad that Mom is around to interpret. (It's all very cute of you guys.)