Friday, December 17, 2010

Handel's Messiah



Handel's Messiah is performed all around the world especially before Christmas. This video is from a choir in Brazil performing  the final parts of Handel's Messiah -  Worthy is the Lamb - Blessing and Honour  and Glory  - Amen.     Most people are familiar with the Hallelujah chorus but the ending is just as powerful or even more.    All of the Messiah is sung from the scriptures and I love all of it.   I attended the performance of Messiah on Wednesday evening with the choir Elaine is in plus four excellent soloists  together with the symphony orchestra.    One of my favourite solo parts is always The Trumpet Shall Sound.  This year the tenor and alto soloists were particularly good.    But the best parts for me are the Hallelujah chorus and the ending  Worthy is the Lamb - Blessing and Honour  and Glory  - Amen.  These build up to full volume of the choir, orchestra with timpani and pipe organ.  I will have to listen to it on CD or DVD again before I get to attend again next December.    

1 comment:

Ky said...

I just got back from singing Messiah!

My favourite solo is "I Know My Redeemer Liveth."