Friday, September 11, 2009

My Lively Aunt and Family News

This evening I phoned my Aunt Helen in the US who is 88 years old and doing very well. She was married to my Dad's youngest brother George. When we visited her 5 years ago she had one great grandchild. She now has 10 great grandchildren. She is well and enjoying her family several of which live not far from her.

On another family note today I got an email from my cousin David (son of my Dad's sister) in Texas. His brother, my cousin Richard age 65 passed away after a lengthy battle with cancer. The other brother Robert passed away a year ago also with cancer. Unfortunately both died in debt due to the high cost of health care in the US. Richard was laid off from his job 5 years ago so could not get health insurance. He had to pay for his cancer treatment out of his own pocket and by debt, and with help from his brother. To me these are examples why the US needs to do something with their health care system.

No comments: