Friday, October 2, 2009

My New Job

I agreed to take on the treasurer position for the local Post-Polio group.  The woman who had that position for several years had been ill and wanted a replacement.  At the last meeting I was elected unanimously.  Like most groups if you are willing to take the position it is yours until you can find someone else.

Last night Elaine and I went to the home of the former treasurer and her husband to get the books and files and bank statement, etc for the group.  We came back with bigger load of stuff than I expected.

We had a good visit with this older couple.  She had polio as a teenager and ended up with a trach 16 years ago.   She has had to use oxygen since being in hospital recently with lung infection.  So I told her about my experiences and she was quite interested in my speaking valve.

This couple are retired farmers who used to raise shorthorn cattle east of Regina.  On the kitchen table the place mats are a collage of pictures of champion cattle they showed and sold at Agribition and other shows.  The centre picture was of them with a shorthorn female that they sold in 1985 at Agribition for $19,500.  They said that this is still the record price for a shorthorn female at Agribition.

Elaine and I had a very good visit last night and got to know this older couple more that just seeing them at the post-polio meetings.  But now I have a new job that shouldn't take too much time for this small group. 

No comments: