Sunday, May 2, 2010

Custom Office Chair



In 2005 I had an ergonomic assessment by an occupational therapist at my office where I work.  Ergonomics means the science of designing the job, equipment, and workplace to fit the worker. As an office worker up to 70% or more of my time is spent at my desk using a computer. The occupational therapist examined how my body size and shape fit the chair and desk while using the computer keyboard and mouse, and the viewing angle for looking at the computer screen. As a result of this assessment she provided a report with several recommendations.

After having polio at about 18 months in 1955 I developed kyphoscoliosis of my back starting at about age 7 and progressing as I grew. The kyphoscoliosis is an outward curvature of the right side of my back in addition to a double S-shaped lateral curvature. I am thankful that over the years I have not had as much back pain as many people with back conditions. However in about 2004 I started to have a lot of pain in my lower and upper back and right shoulder. I tried unsuccessfully to use additional cushions with my chair. But a standard chair does not fit my body shape or provide proper support. In the ergonomic assessment the occupational therapist recommended that I get a chair that is more adjustable than the standard office chair and investigate getting a custom made back cushion to fit my back.

I researched available chairs, visited office furniture dealers, and tried out three different ergonomic office chairs available at that time; Herman Miller Aeron, Teknion Contessa, and Steelcase Leap. The recommended features from the ergonomic assessment included: seat adjustable depth, back material either customized, or somewhat flexible material, adjustable seat and back height with back height to support shoulder blades, height adjustable armrests, with 5 prong swivel pedestal base. I evaluated a Steelcase Leap chair for a week in my office and concluded it was the most suitable for my particular needs.

I was referred to an assessment by a team including a physiotherapist, occupational therapist and seating technician. They concluded it would be feasible to customize a seat back cushion to fit and support my back, and install it on the ergonomic office chair. At a later appointment they had fitted a plastic bag arrangement on a modified chair back frame. As I sat in the chair, the seating technician poured liquid foam material into the plastic bag to fill the area around and behind my back. This then solidified into a cushion the shape of my back. They later upholstered the moulded chair back cushion to match the seating material. The finished chair is shown in my office in the pictures, where I have been using it for the last 5 years.

There were number of other recommendations in the ergonomic assessment in 2005 that were implemented and quite helpful.   I got a flat screen monitor that could be moved farther back and lowered down to give a better viewing angle.  A  keyboard shelf was made for my desk to give the right height.  And I switched to using the mouse with my left hand as seen in the picture.  I am right handed but using the mouse was aggravating the pain in my right shoulder.  Switching to the left hand also allows the mouse to be closer to the keyboard since the numeric keypad is on the right.  For 5 years now I have been using the mouse with my left hand at work and my right hand at home.   It came quite naturally and I do it now without thinking about it.

I am now writing an article about the ergonomic assessment and my custom office chair for a newsletter of the polio organization I am involved in.  So last week I took some pictures of the chair and someone took pictures of me sitting in it.   It is pretty unique and I hope it will be of interest to others.
 

8 comments:

The Blog Fodder said...

That is just amazing. The perfect chair with a perfect fit for you. You look very comfortable in that picture. Did you get a matching one for home too as I know you work at home quite a bit?

Teacher Lady said...

What happens to the chair when you retire? Do you get to keep it?

DC Power said...

No I do not have a matching one at home. The chair is one of a kind. I expect to be able to keep the chair when I retire since it would not fit anyone else.

LynnieC said...

That's pretty cool!!

ofis mobilyalari said...

Comfort is really the key in having a good and relax time while you work. Check me out and see more comfortable design you'd love,

Home Office Chairs said...

Home office chairs should be able to provide comfort and style at the same time. Check for adjustable chair. It caters to your posture so you feel relaxed even at the office.

Get More Information said...

The mission of Offices to travel is to supply unbelievable quality at an out of this world value. The chairs from this whole actually have it all, that is doubtless why Offices to travel has been such a success this year. All of their chairs feature high technical school comfort clad in wonderful vogue priced at points anyone will afford. they provide AN abundance of selection, with animal skin or mesh back chairs for any workplace purpose you'll imaging. The chairs from this whole that have done significantly well this year embody the 11690B Mesh government Chair, the 11686-QL10 Mesh Back Manager's Chair, and also the 2787 Luxhide government Chair. every of those chairs, and also the remainder of their chair brethren from Offices to travel, ne'er sacrifice comfort for an incredible value. of these reasons and a lot of square measure specifically what makes Offices to travel such a prime notch brand!

Dimensionsoffice said...

Oh really good information.. nice blog..
office chairs