Friday, May 28, 2010

Picnicking in the Rain

Last evening was our annual spring picnic for the post-polio group that Elaine and I have been involved with.  Fortunately we were able to have it indoors because we had thunder storms and heavy rain.   When I told  Maryanne we had our picnic indoors she said "If it is indoors how is it different than a regular meal?  So when we have supper tonight I will call it a picnic."   OK fine Maryanne but we still called it our annual spring picnic.

We had a very nice time visiting with the group.   Some people were there that have not been out to the meetings for a while due to health problems so it was very nice to see them and catch up on how they are doing.   I had lengthy visits with two men I knew from work and had retired many years ago.    One man particularly had been a very active outgoing person and in charge of public relations and communicating with the media.  In recent years it has been hard to see him withdrawing from talking much due to onset of alzheimer's.   But last night I had a very good on-on-one conversation with him.  He remembered many stories and people from the past at work (and we shared the same opinion of the former president who forced him out.)  However as typical he asked me the same question many time due to his short term memory.  I told his wife afterward that I had a good visit with him and she was very glad.

All in all we have a very nice evening with a friendly group of people.

No comments: