Saturday, June 12, 2010

I Know the Master of the Wind

One of my favourite accounts in the Bible is  about Jesus in the Boat where he calmed the storm, recorded in three of the gospels:  Matthew 8:23-27, Mark 4:35-41 and Luke 8:22-25.   

Jesus and his disciples were out in a ship and there were also with them other little ships.  A great storm came up with waves beating on the ship and it was full of water.   Jesus was in the back of the ship asleep on a pillow.  The disciples woke Jesus and said  "Master, carest thou not that we perish?"

Jesus arose and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, "Peace, be still."  And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. Then Jesus said to his disciples "Why are ye so fearful?  How is it that ye have no faith?"

The disciples feared exceedingly, and said one to another, "What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?"

This week I heard a recording of a song  "Master of the Wind" by Joel Hemphill.  The words of the chorus are:

I know the Master of the wind.
I know the Maker of the rain.
He can calm a storm, make the sun shine again.
I know the Master of the wind.

This gives me a lot of confidence that "I know the Master of the wind" and he can still speak "Peace be still!" no matter what the storms of life.  

You can hear this song on a video sung by the composer's daughter Candy Hemphill Christmas at this link. 

No comments: