Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Aunt Helen

I called my Aunt Helen and had a nice conversation by telephone.  She lives in the US in Delaware and was married to my father's youngest brother George who passed away in 2004.   Aunt Helen is the only one living of aunts or uncles on my Dad's side of the family (and none on my Mom's side.)    She will be 89 in November and still active, driving to get groceries and to appointments.  But she is careful to only drive in her own local area and not when traffic is busy.   She told me she had some surgery a while ago but it was "a piece of cake" and she was up and around again in no time.

In the picture behind Aunt Helen is her daughter Carol and her sons George and Roy (and Tara the dog.)   The picture was taken when we were visiting in 2004  at the time of Uncle George's memorial service.   Then Aunt Helen had 5 grandchildren and 1 great grandchild.   Now she has 9 great grandchildren with 1 more on the way.   It is nice that some live in a nearby area. 

It was very nice to talk to Aunt Helen by phone. And Elaine heard from Carol via Facebook that she was very happy to hear from me.  I will have to remember to call Aunt Helen more often.

1 comment:

The Blog Fodder said...

That was a nice post. Our parents' generation is getting thin on the ground. Maybe I better call my Aunt Betty and Grandma L, come to think of it.