Saturday, February 12, 2011

Updates

It has been a couple weeks since I posted on my blog so thought I would do some updates on what's new around here. 

Weather
As usual most of the news around here is about the weather.  Back on January 20 I posted about Weather Ups and Downs.   We have continued the swings between the -30s and then up around 0C.  Being the "thoroughly quantitative fellow" (as one of my bosses called me one time) I decided to plot the highs, lows and median temperatures since the beginning of the year to illustrate this.  After being down close to -30C most of the week we are up to +2C today.   I worked from home Monday to Thursday and then was able to go to the office Friday with the milder weather    
Basement
My last post was about the basement foundation inspection.   I now have the report from the structural engineer recommending the steel bracing of the basement walls.  I will take this down to the city next week to apply for the permit and then have the contractor do the work.   In the mean time we are looking at different ways to lay out the basement when we get it redeveloped.  
Retirement Planning
The time is getting closer for my retirement May 31  (107 days now according to my retirement counter.)  I have received pension estimates with the options to decide on as well as summaries of other pension benefits. I am in what is termed the "old plan" which is a defined benefit plan and there are options depending on how much you take before 65 versus after 65, and what percentage your survivor will receive.    We are advised to meet with a financial  planner which we will do this month and then next month we will attend a retirement planning seminar.   The positive is  that on pension with lower deductions, and pension splitting reducing taxes, as well as some other payouts for 5 years in lieu of accumulated earned days off, we will actually be as well  off or better than when I am working. 

Egypt   
As everyone has been seeing the world news is all about Egypt.  Today's newspaper here had the headline Mubarak Resigns:  Sask weather contribution factor.    The connection they are making is that wet weather in Saskatchewan last year, together with factors in other areas,  have caused soaring world food prices that sparked violent protest in the Arab region.  With a corrupt and oppressive regime the soaring food prices were the "last straw."   I work with a man who is from Egypt.  His wife and children went to Egypt in December to visit family.  Then he went there in January.  Last week I saw that he was back but since I was away from the office I did not have a chance to talk to him until Friday.   They had come home 4 days sooner than planned since it was getting very dangerous there.  He had just gotten the news that Mubarak had resigned and he was very pleased about this. I asked if he thought the situation will improve in Egypt. He said it has to improve since no matter who is the new leader it has to be better than what they have had.  But he watches the news with great concern because both his and his wife's family are in Cairo.  This brings world events right close to home.    

Well  after not blogging for 2 weeks I have made up for it with a long post in 4 chapters.  I better sign off now ....   

2 comments:

SATYA LAKSHMI said...

DC POWER.. I HAVE GONE THROUGH YOUR BLOG AND MOST OF THE PLACES YOU ARE DISCUSSING ABOUT TEMPERATURE AND WEATHER. ITS SOMETHING STRANGE

The Blog Fodder said...

Pretty wild temperature swings, DC. Not good for man nor beast. A nice even -20, that's what you need. We are doing the same bounces but not as deep. -10 to +5 stuff. this week we are supposed to be -10 again.

Will be interested in your basement redesign. Post sketches.

Re Egypt, the people trust the army more than they do the politicians. I hope their trust is not misplaced and that civil society, so long repressed, can get itself together fast enough to head off extremists. Of either stripe.

Not so long till you retire. That is kind of exciting. they you can hire yourself back as a consultant at exorbitant rates.