Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Counting Our Blessings

We had a good Thanksgiving weekend here.  It is a time when we are reminded of all the things we have to be thankful for.  Back in 2008 on Thanksgiving I posted the song "Count Your Blessings." (Hard to believe I have had a blog that long.)  The words of the chorus are:

Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God hath done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

The other hymn that really expresses how I feel is Great is Thy Faithfulness,  especially the words in the chorus "all I have needed thy hand hath provided"  and in the last verse "strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow."   God has provided all that we need and has given us strength for each day and a bright hope for the future.

I am really thankful for Elaine and our family, as well as friends and relatives and our church family.    I like being retired and am thankful that God enabled me to work my full term to have a pension that meets our needs.  And every day we try to remember to count our blessings for we have a lot to be thankful for.

On Sunday after church Janice came straight home and put the turkey in the oven and made the mashed potatoes and gravy.  Mike and Nicole came over and we had our Thanksgiving dinner together about 4 PM.  Elaine made the dressing and vegetables, and Mike and Nicole brought a salad.  We had a very nice meal and visit.  Then on Monday we had a quiet day at home and watched the Rider game on TV in the afternoon.  At least I can be thankful I don't have to figure out how to fix their problems.  There is always something to be thankful for.     

1 comment:

The Blog Fodder said...

Sounds like it was a good day all around. Rider game the exception, of course.