Friday, November 27, 2009

Visiting Grandpa and Grandma


In 1962 my Grandpa and Grandma Hingston moved to North Battleford where we lived.  They had a small one bedroom semi-detached  unit at a senior's lodge.  I remember them moving very well since I was 9 years old when they came to NB.   They lived there until Grandpa died in 1975.

The pictures are in Grandpa and Grandma's  unit  in 1962 soon after they came.   Note how well dressed our family is for visiting which was traditional for us.  Visiting was a "dress up" occasion.  I was looking sharp with bow tie and sweater.

I have many memories of visiting Grandpa and Grandma over the 13 years they were there.   Grandpa was very deaf so made up for it by doing most of the talking.  My Mom had a strong voice and could still carry on a conversation with him.  But mostly I remember Grandpa telling stories, and Grandma's high pitched laugh at all his jokes. 

Grandma would sing for us children.   She sang "The Ninety and Nine"  and "Dare to Be a Daniel."     Visiting my Grandparents and seeing their strong faith in God, and in particular Grandma's singing for us had a strong effect on my life and my own faith.  
   

3 comments:

The Blog Fodder said...

I had forgotten the year that they moved to NB. Dad and I helped move them. Henry and Barry Frey brought their big three ton truck and we loaded stuff in that. Barry and I rode in the back to NB. The old house in Landis hasn't been lived in since, I don't think.

DC Power said...

Yes I remember all of you coming with Frey's truck. We have a picture when you stopped with the truck at our old house before going on to the lodge.

The Blog Fodder said...

Could you scan and send me that picture? Thanks so much.