Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Eighteen Months But Who's Counting

It is now eighteen months until I can retire with full pension.  The pension plan I am in at work is based on 35 years of service for retirement.  When I started 35 years seemed forever but the time will be here soon now.

A lot of people at work are talking about retirement because several could qualify in the next year or two.   Some that have retired have done some work afterward on a consulting or contract basis.   I think I will have had enough after 35 years.   I am thinking more on the line of some type of volunteer work after retirement.    

I am very happy with my current work arrangements.   I usually go into the office in the morning and then work from home in the afternoon.  On very cold days, or days like today with blowing snow, I just work from home.   I work on special projects such as policy reviews and issues with legal agreements.  But many days I am called on as an advisor when things at work are in "fire fighting mode."      That seems to be more often lately. 

Eighteen months to go.  But that will go by quickly.

3 comments:

Bronwyn said...

That will go by quicker than you know. I'm happy for you! Where will you volunteer?

Only 32 more years for me! Unless I can retire before I'm 65. Then, it's only 20 years!

The Blog Fodder said...

Retirement is awesome. I heartily recommend it. Volunteer to run for office at City Haul or something. They could use some brain power there.

DC Power said...

I am doing some now with the post-polio group. For other volunteering I am thinking of hospitals or nursing homes. Nothing definite yet.

Al: Politics is out of the question