Sunday, December 13, 2009

Hibernation

Wikipedia says "Hibernation is a state of inactivity and metabolic depression in animals, characterized by lower body temperature, slower breathing, and lower metabolic rate. Hibernating animals conserve energy, especially during winter when food is short, tapping energy reserves, body fat, at a slow rate."  That sounds like me except I don't have any body fat so it a good thing food is not short.

With the colder weather in the last week (lows in the -30s) I have been staying at home.  Most people here fare OK in this weather if they are dressed for it, but I am better off to just stay in and not expose my lungs to this very cold air.  I only went into the office Friday morning when the temperature was -15C before starting to drop again.   This morning it was -35C with -48C wind chill so I did not venture out to church.   While Elaine and Janice went to church,  I stayed home nice and warm  and listened to a camp meeting on mp3.  

The forecast is for milder weather to be here by Wednesday so I hope to soon come out of hibernation for a while.   

1 comment:

The Blog Fodder said...

Good thing we have Global Warming.