Thursday, December 17, 2009

Handel's Messiah

Last night Janice and I attended the performance of Handel's Messiah with the choir Elaine is in and the symphony.   This is the 10th annual performance and it is always in the same large church  which has wonderful sound with its high vaulted ceiling.  I think I have attended at least 7 times now and enjoy it every time.  

I have been sitting on the left side toward the front several times.  Elaine is in the alto section usually on that side. We are also then close to the timpani and trumpets.   One year when my Mom was with us we were in the first row just a few feet from the trumpets.  During the Hallelujah chorus that ends the first half, the choir, pipe organ and symphony including timpani and trumpets build up to great volume.  I was afraid it was too loud for my Mom. At the intermission she said, "That was exciting!"   Last night we were in the third row but we still got  full effect.   The same is in the finale with Blessing and Honour building up to full volume in the Amen.    For the solo parts one of the favourites I always wait for each year is The Trumpet Shall Sound with the solo parts going back and forth between the principal trumpet the bass soloist.      All in all another great performance.

Now Elaine is out for the second night of performance.  Tonight the choir is going to sit with audience to have  them sing along. 

2 comments:

Elaine said...

Tonight was a blast. The pressure to perform was over so we just enjoyed ourselves, hearing the sounds from the other performers. My ears are still ringing.

The Blog Fodder said...

Merry Christmas, DC and co. Now that Elaine has performed Handel's Messiah it is officially Christmas. I would love to go some year.
Tanya and I will have to watch the theatre in Dnipro to see who is scheduled over the holidays and go in for the night.