Monday, February 8, 2010

Raising Turkeys

Well dressed newly wed couple with the turkeys
My father with the turkeys at the back of the "white dorm"
 My father with the turkeys looking toward the "old tabernacle" 

When my parents were married in July 1950 they lived at the church campground that was a Bible school at that time.  My mother taught in the high school there and my father worked on the grounds, before he started the milk delivery.    Their first home when they were married was in the building we call the "white dorm"  with one room as a bedroom and an adjoining room as a living room.  At that time the rooms in the white dorm just had partitions that didn't go all the way to the ceiling rather than full walls. 

One of the interesting stories about when they were first married was raising turkeys.    One of the ministers at the Bible school got 1000 young turkeys and my parents took care of them.  When the turkeys were small they kept them inside the building that we now call the "west building" at the campground.    In fact they told of sometimes staying in that building with the turkeys to make sure they were OK.   It appears from the pictures that when the turkeys got larger they had a fenced off area behind the "white dorm."   I  am not sure if they raised turkeys more than one year.   But the west building at the campground continued to be known as the turkey building after that.
  

2 comments:

The Blog Fodder said...

Thank you for that bit of history. I never knew the background to the Turkey building.
I remember the walls in the white dorm not going to the top and standing on the top bunk visiting with the kids in the next room when I was supposed to be sleeping.

RTAs said...

I thought it was chickens that were raised in the West Bldg... but I guess it was turkeys. One of the many things I learned while spending 3 summers on the grounds.