Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Our Anniversary

Today Elaine and I celebrate our 31st anniversary. I was thinking back to Elaine being in the hospital with our new baby on our 1st anniversary. The years have flown by since then.

Before I was married I was staying with an older couple in our church. I had just started my job so only planned to go to Camp for the weekends. I ended up getting sick and couldn't go the first weekend. I was feeling sorry that I had to stay home while everyone else was at Camp. I kneeled beside my bed and prayed that when I went to Camp the next weekend I would meet a new friend. When I got to Camp it became clear that Elaine wanted to be my "friend." And we became even more than friends. By that November we were engaged, and the next April we were married.

Last year while I was in hospital in critical condition, a nurse was asking Elaine how long we had been married. She said that we would be coming up to our 30th anniversary. The nurse asked what we planned to do to celebrate our anniversary. Elaine replied "We are going to celebrate being alive!" God answered prayer and I did revive. After a lengthy recovery, I was out of the hospital before our anniversary last year. And I was well enough that we were able to go out for supper for our 30th anniversary, and "celebrate being alive."

Now another year has gone by and Elaine and I can still "celebrate being alive!"

2 comments:

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Happy anniversary, Mamma and Papa! Hooray!

The Blog Fodder said...

May you two celebrate being alive for at least another 31 years. Ella and I and Bron tried to get to your wedding. The ice on the Sask River broke the Cumberland ferry cable. Once we were back on shore we decided maybe we wouldn't go. You did just fine without us.