Sunday, May 4, 2008

Symphony and Choir Performance

On Saturday evening I attended a performance of the RSO, and the RPC, joined by some other choirs. Attendance was "compulsory" since Elaine is in the choir, but I always enjoy their performances.

The symphony played some shorter pieces first, but the main program was a performance of Carmina Burana by Carl Orff. This was over an hour with the symphony, choir and soloists. It was mostly in Latin with some German which I of course do not understand. (Apparently it is better in some parts if you do not know the translation.) But I enjoyed it for the excellent musical performance. I always like the powerful parts with the symphony and large choir building up to full volume. And the soloists had amazing voices.

This particular musical work would not surpass the annual performance of Handel's Messiah as my favorite, but I did enjoy it. All in all it was well worth attending.

2 comments:

Queen of West Procrastination said...

One question: were there rumbley parts?

DC Power said...

Yes there were. You know I like the rumbly parts!