Monday, March 3, 2008

Chorus Performance

Yesterday afternoon I attended the RPC brunch at the Hotel Sask. They performed Mozart's Solemn Vespers. I have been a regular attendee of the RPC performances since Elaine is in the chorus and now there are some others who are "part of the family." The musical performance was excellent.

I have grown to love this type of classical choral music. The annual choral performance of Handel's Messiah with the RSO is my favorite as it builds to full power of the chorus, accompanied with the pipe organ, the sounding of the trumpets, and the rumble of the timpani. (I love the "rumbly parts.") Last fall I also enjoyed the dynamic Armed Man by Jenkins. This took us through the whole range of war and peace. I wouldn't call it beautiful music, but it had a dynamic and power I could appreciate. In contrast to these, the musical performance yesterday of Mozart's Solemn Vespers had a peaceful beauty. I fully enjoyed every part of it.

As one of the guests at our table said yesterday, "That was a VERY enjoyable way to spend a Sunday afternoon!" That really sums it up.

2 comments:

Teacher Lady said...

Did anyone shriek this time?

Anonymous said...

I shrieked. In pain. High heels were a very bad choice.

I'm glad you enjoyed the concert Uncle David!